Construction is a tough, physical industry, and that means it involves risk. Autonomous excavators offer the opportunity to reduce your team’s exposure to slip-and-fall, struck-by, and caught in-between injuries and help create a safer jobsite for everyone.
A perfect record. Built tracks machine hours, recordable safety incidents, and other key metrics from each project where we have a robot deployed. We’re proud to report that over a significant operating record, we’ve never had a single robot-related injury.
0 Robot-related safety incidents
1.7 million Pedestrians in machine learning data set
13,000+ Hours of operation
8 Redundant layers in safety system
Simple, Safe, Automatic
Safety without compromise. As a pioneer in construction robotics, Built has developed an integrated safety system that is commonsense, practical, and field-proven. Based on a foundation of best-in-class safety hardware, our safety system meets or exceeds all industry standards.
- Geofence a virtual barrier keeps the robot inside a safe working area
- Safety Barrier a high visibility orange barrier keeps people out of the robot’s working area
- Hi-Vis Safety Lights high-powered lights that work in day and night
- Warning Signage signage to provide visual cues to people nearby
- Wireless E-Stop two emergency stops located at the corners of the safety barrier
- Hardwired E-Stop two safety-rated emergency stops located on both sides of the excavator
- Audible Warnings 110-decibel sound cues whenever the Exosystem is on
- Obstacle Detection 360° cameras keep a continuous eye on pedestrians and obstacles within the robot’s working area
Experienced, Certified Operators
It begins with the people. All Robotic Equipment Operators (REOs) are selected based on construction experience, technical knowledge, and strong safety records. They then undergo an extensive training program — including classroom and hands-on teaching — before being certified to operate a robot on a jobsite.
Sense & Avoid
Onboard cameras and radar can detect obstacles in the surrounding work area, enabling the robot to react in less than a second.
Geofence & Safety Barrier
The virtual geofence limits the robot’s movements and keeps it contained in the designated work area. The physical safety barrier provides a clear delineation for nearby workers, while keeping people out of harm’s way.
Hardwired Emergency Stops
Instantly stop the robot and shutdown the engine. With Built’s hardwired emergency stops, all autonomous operations can be safely stopped with the press of a button.
Wireless Emergency Stops
Safety at a distance. As an added layer of protection, wireless emergency stops are set at key points along the safety barrier to safely stop the robot from up to 1,000 feet away.
Lights & Sounds
Multi-sensory communication. The exosystem includes daylight-visible blue lights and 110-decibel audio cues to signal that the excavator is operating autonomously.
New safety signs for new technologies. Built provides official safety signs to attach to your excavator, ensuring that anyone nearby is informed of the robot's autonomous operation.